Teacher Materials and Directions
The Reading Center
- This reading intervention is designed to improve fluency, word vocabulary, and comprehension for Grades 1-5. It will also help students feel better about their reading.
- The Reading Center combines two interventions, both of which have strong support in the research literature.
- The two interventions are Listening Passage Preview and Repeated Readings.
- A 149 page manual with Instructions for using the computer version of the reading center can be downloaded by clicking here.
- The manual describe how to use the Reading Center. Most schools find it efficient to print copies of the files and have them ready for teacher use in a binder or folder. This intervention is designed to establish accuracy and fluency in beginning reading skills.
- Progress monitoring can be conducted with Oral Reading Fluency Progress Monitoring probes. Use the probes that match the student's instructional level.
- Prior to using the Reading Center, review the manual and instructions noted above.
The Reading Center published here is copyrighted by Dr Joe Witt. The interventions may be used by educational professionals in their own schools without charge. They may not be sold or distributed in any way. For additional terms of service, please click here.
The Reading Center is provided free to students working from home or school during the COVID-19 pandemic. We would like to acknowledge the support of Dr. Joe Witt who authored the original Reading Center. Michael Hamoka, a master web and app developer, donated his time and expertise to bring the Reading Center back to the web. iSTEEP provides financial support for the web front end and backend.